Quick, Easy Mozzarella Chicken – THM S
This is a great quick dish for your family. Richard is a pasta lover and this is one of his favorites meals. The chicken is moist and tender, and the penne pasta is perfectly married with the sauce. Serve Chicken Mozzarella with a side of steamed summer squashes, broccoli, Italian green beans or a leafy green salad.
This post may contain affiliate links to Amazon or other programs. I do earn a small commission from the sales made through these links; however your price never changes.
More Ideas for Chicken Mozzarella
You can lighten this recipe by using spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles for a lighter meal. Just marry the spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles in the sauce until they are heated through. Serve with a side salad garnished with cucumbers, red or green peppers, a few raw red onion rings, and diced tomato dressed with a vinaigrette or creamy blue dressing.
Using Dreamfields Pasta in Your Journey
Using Dreamfields Pasta is a personal choice in your THM journey. Only 5 net carbs are counted when using this pasta due to the matrix coating. It is also very important not to over cook this pasta. The cooking time in boiling water in this recipe has been reduced so the pasta finishes cooking in the tomato sauce. This cooking time is important to avoid changing the matrix coating.
For those of us who continue to use it, count it as “5 digestible carbs” per serving, this recipe serves 6. While the product contains 41 carb grams, the premise is that they are not all digested, so it can be used as low-carb “frankenfood” even though technically, it’s not low-carb.
- Serves: 6
- Calories: 451
- Fat: 9g
- Carbohydrates: 54g
- Sodium: 685mg
- Fiber: 8g
- Protein: 41g
- Cholesterol: 76mg
- 24 ounces boned and skinned chicken breast halves (6 - 4 ounce pieces of chicken breast)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (refined)
- 8 ounces tomato sauce (small can)
- 14½ ounces canned diced tomatoes
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon oregano (dried)
- ½ teaspoon basil (dried)
- 6 mozzarella cheese slices
- 13½ ounces Dreamfields Penne Pasta(1 box)
- Fill a 5 quart kettle with water and heat to a boil.
- While heating the pasta water, heat a large stainless steel skillet over medium high heat. Add refined coconut oil and swirl in the pan. Add chicken breast and cook approximately 3 minutes per side or until golden brown; drain.
- Pour undrained diced tomatoes and tomato sauce over the chicken; bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. (Internal temperature 165 degrees.)
- Put penne pasta in the boiling water when your chicken has been simmering for 7 minutes. Stir and bring back to a boil and cook 9 minutes. Drain pasta, give it a quick rinse with tepid water, give a quick shake to drain.
- Place a cheese slice over each chicken breast in the pan. Cover and cook 1 minute or until the cheese is melted.
- Plate the chicken; loosely cover to keep warm. Pour drained pasta into the sauce and give it a quick stir for about 1 minute, this step dresses and marries the pasta with the sauce. Plate with the chicken breast. Serve immediately.
- Using Dreamfields Pasta is a personal choice on the Trim Healthy Mama plan. Even though the carbohydrates are listed higher on the box panel we only count 5 net carbohydrates due to the matrix coating
- If you prefer you can follow the same steps for dressing and marrying the sauce using either spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles. This will lower the net carbohydrates by 5 grams.