Instant Pot Cabbage and Hamburg – THM S with E and FP Option
Instant Pot Cabbage and Hamburg is a quick, budget friendly and nourishing meal. This recipes stretches your meat by adding finely chopped mushrooms. Even the pickiest eaters won’t know that it has mushrooms!! I prefer to use a 93% lean ground beef in my S meals but you certainly could use 85 or 90%.
Mushroom You Say??
Yes, this recipe stretches your meat by using the Trim Healthy Mama “Hack Your Ground Meat”. You can read about this great hack in the Trim Healthy Mama March 2019 Ezine – Hack Your Ground Meat. Certainly, you’ll find some amazing tips for making your meal even more healthy and nourishing after reading the THM Ezine article.
Cabbage, the Budget Friendly Super Food
First of all, cabbage is on the list of cancer fighting foods because of a compound called sulphorphane. It’s loaded with antioxidants and cancer fighting flavonoids. The fiber content keeps things moving in your digestive tract. Cabbage is rich in Vitamin C, magnesium and folate along with Vitamin K. Most note worthy, it’s a great food for your heart because the polyphenol it contains helps to fight cardiovascular disease by helping to prevent platelet buildup and reducing blood pressure.
Items Used for This Recipe
Finally, here are some of the items that I suggest for creating this recipe. These are my picks from Amazon and as an Amazon affiliate I earn on qualifying purchases made through these links.
Cabbage and Hamburg THM E and FP Options
I love this recipe because it’s so easy to modify from a THM S to either a THM E or FP!! For your complete THM S meal just add green beans with butter and a THM S bread or biscuit. Now switching to E mode, use 96% lean ground beef or venison; you can use up to a tablespoon of refined coconut oil to saute your meat. To complete your E meal add 3/4 cup of brown rice and a non-starchy veggie like green beans. Last but not least, THM FP use 96% lean ground beef or venison; you can use up to a tablespoon of refined coconut oil to saute your meat and add a serving of green beans.
- Serves: 8
- Calories: 295
- Fat: 18g
- Carbohydrates: 18g
- Sodium: 596mg
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 12g
- Cholesterol: 23mg
- 1½ pounds ground beef, 93% lean
- 8 ounces button mushrooms (finely diced)
- 1 cup onion (chopped)
- ½ cup green pepper (chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon THM Himalayan mineral salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 15 ounces tomatoes, canned (no sugar added)
- 8 ounces tomato sauce (no sugar added)
- 16 cups cabbage (cored and chopped into ¾ inch pieces)
- Set your Instant Pot to saute, normal temp. When pot reads hot add ground beef and brown until no longer pink.
- Stir in chopped onion, continue sauteing until the onion is translucent; add garlic, green pepper and mushrooms saute for 2 to 3 minutes more..
- Add salt, pepper and diced canned tomatoes.. Stir and scrape deglazing any bits that have formed on the bottom of the liner.
- Add tomato sauce and chopped cabbage, do not stir. Hit cancel on your pot. Cover with lid; lock into place.
- Turn vent to sealing. Set the pot using manual or pressure cook for 4 minutes.
- After the pot beeps manually release remaining pressure. Once pressure pin drops, unlock lid, remove and stir.
- E meal - use 96% lean ground beef or venison; you can use up to a tablespoon of refined coconut oil to saute your meat. Add ¾ cup of brown rice and a non-starchy veggie like green beans to complete your E meal.
- FP meal - use 96% lean ground beef or venison; you can use up to a tablespoon of refined coconut oil to saute your meat. Add a non-starchy veggie like greens beans to complete your FP meal.