Tomato Barley Turkey Soup
We love soups and Tomato Barley Turkey Soup is one of my favorites since barley is barley is one of my favorite grains. I was very excited to read that hulled barley is a great grain to use in the Trim Healthy Mama plan. This soup is easy to make either on the stove top or in your Instant Pot. There are 6 generous servings in this soup.
This post may contain affiliate links to Amazon or other programs. I do earn a small commission from the sales made through these links; however your price never changes.
Some Great Facts About Barley
Doing a little research on barley I was amazed to find out how good this ancient grain is for you. In addition to its unique flavor, barley is a very good source of manganese, dietary fiber, selenium, vitamin B1, chromium, phosphorus, magnesium, and niacin. Barley is an excellent food choice for those concerned about type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes because the grain contains essential vitamins and minerals and is an excellent source of dietary fiber, particularly beta-glucan soluble fiber. Research shows that barley beta-glucan soluble fiber promotes healthy blood sugar by slowing glucose absorption.
Buying and Soaking Your Barley
My favorite hulled barley is Grain Place Foods Non-GMO Organic Hulled Barley which comes in a 2 pound bag. First tip is to soak your hulled barley for about 6 hours because it will be more digestible and take less time to cook. Just place 3/4 of a cup of hulled barley in a small bowl and cover with water.
- 1 pound ground turkey (96-99% lean)
- 2 carrots (peeled, halved and slices into coins)
- 1 onion (peeled and diced)
- 1 celery rib (diced)
- 1 clove garlic (minced or pressed)
- 1 envelope taco seasoning mix (or 3 tablespoons homemade seasoning mix)
- 4½ cups water
- 28 ounces tomatoes, canned (Italian,diced)
- ¾ cup barley. hulled (soaked in water for 6 hours and drained)
- 2 tablespoons parsley (dried flakes)
- ⅛ teaspoon oregano (dried)
- Set the liner in your instant pot. Set the pot to saute, normal. Once the pot has heated give it a light spray with refined coconut oil spray.
- Saute the ground turkey, carrots, onion, celery, garlic and 1 tablespoon of the taco seasoning over medium heat until the turkey is no longer pink.
- Slowly stir in the water, tomatoes, remaining taco seasoning and soaked, drained barley. Hit cancel on your pot. Hit the manual button; set the time to 15 minutes using the -/+ button. Allow the pot to naturally release the pressure for at least 15 minutes.
- Once the pressure is released stir in the dried parsley and oregano. Leave pot on the warming cycle for the dried herbs to expand about 2 minutes. Serve.
- Heat a large 5 quart stainless steel pot. Once heated give it a light spray with refined coconut oil. Add the ground turkey, carrots, onion, celery, garlic and 1 tablespoon of the taco seasoning; cook over medium heat until the turkey is no longer pink.
- Gradually stir in the water, tomatoes and remaining taco seasoning; bring to a low boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add soaked, drained barley; cover and simmer for approximately 25-30 minutes or until the barley is tender.
- Once your barley has reached your desired tenderness stir in the dried parsley and oregano. Simmer another 1 -2 minutes. Serve