Mixed Greens with Red Pear Salad
Locally grown greens are the best. I love farm to table shopping at the farmers market. Spring mix is usually a combination of smaller baby greens and lettuces. These mix greens may contain: green leaf, green romaine, tango, green oak, green chard, baby spinach, arugula, red chard, red leaf, lolla rosa, red romaine, red mustard, radicchio, red oak, and beet tops.
Often farmers will thin out their lettuce beds making room for the larger heads and leaves to grow. When they do this thinning the greens are washed, spun dry and mixed together creating “spring mix”. They bring them to the farmer’s market and are usually sold in clear plastic bag with prices ranging from $2.50-5.00 depending on size.
This post may contain affiliate links to Amazon or other programs. I do earn a small commission from the sales made through these links; however your price never changes.
Color, Color, Color That Salad
We love salads at our house. Lots and lots of color, the more color the more joy in our meal. Don’t be afraid to branch out and try a few new veggies in your salads like purple cauliflower, raw sugar snap peas, along with an array of colored bell peppers. This salad combination pairs superbly with my Pear Apple Salad Dressing, it’s the perfect flavor combo!
Salad Making Tools
My favorite salad tool is my OXO Good Grips Salad Spinner. I have both a large and small one. The larger one I use when I have a lot of greens that I want to wash up and store in the refrigerator for quick salad prep. I store them right in the spinner. I also have the OXO Mini Salad Spinner that I use when I am just making a personal salad or washing and drying herbs. The spinner bowls also double as a salad serving bowl! Please note that this post contains affiliate links for products and tools that I personally use. I earn a very small commission from these links which help me to keep my blog going and it is greatly appreciated if you use them as a shopping convenience.
- 4 cups mixed greens (spring mix)
- 1 whole pear (red or yellow)
- ½ cup red pepper (sliced ¼" thick)
- ¾ cup cucumber slices (sliced ¼-inch thick)
- ½ cup cauliflower florets, (white or purple, cut in 2-inch pieces)
- ½ cup sugar snap peas (cut in 1" pieces)
- 2 tablespoons blueberries (fresh)
- 4 ounces chicken breast without skin (grilled and sliced)
- Wash your greens and spin dry. I use an OXO Good Grip Salad Spinner
- Wash and dry your veggies and pear.
- Cut the red pepper, cucumber slices, cauliflower florets, sugar snap peas and blueberries.
- Arrange your greens on a large plate or bowl top with your cut veggies.
- Slice your pear and add to your salad. Serve immediately with Pear Apple Salad Dressing.